No injuries as Orange home damaged by fire

March 23, 2020 — An Orange mom is being credited by Orange fire officials with saving her family as choking smoke and heat filled her home late Monday afternoon.

“She did exactly the right thing,” said Orange Fire Marshal James Vincent. “As soon as she noticed the fire, she got her family out of the house and then called 9-1-1.”

Firefighters were notified of the fire at 422 Ridgeview Road at 3:12 p.m. Dispatchers received additional information by phone and quickly upgraded the call to a structure fire. Firefighters arrived five minutes later and found heavy smoke in the rear of the house.

Fire Chief Vaughan Dumas said firefighters entered the basement and were met by intense heat and thick smoke. Unable to see anything, firefighters conducted their search by feel on hands and knees, and soon found heavy fire in a utility room. Dumas said firefighters had the main body of fire knocked down within 15 minutes. More fire was found in an exterior wall, but was also quickly extinguished.

Dumas said the home was occupied by the woman and her four children. All escaped injuries. No firefighters were injured.

Vincent said the fire began under the fireplace firebox and burned through the floor. Burning materials fell on top of combustible materials in the basement. He said the home was properly equipped with working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. His investigation is continuing, he added.

Fire damage to the structure of the home was minimal, said Dumas. The house was damaged near the chimney and the mechanical room below. He said the Woodbridge Fire Department assisted at the scene and the Milford Fire Department protected the town from the Boston Post Road Station. In addition, the Orange Police Department and emergency medical personnel from AMR were at the scene.

About the Orange Volunteer Fire Association

The Orange Volunteer Fire Association provides fire protection residents and businesses in Orange and, through mutual aid, surrounding towns. Members receive training in fire suppression, rescue, hazardous materials response, homeland security issues and other emergency services.

Operating strictly with revenues from fund-raisers and donations, the Orange Volunteer Fire Department is one of the few remaining all-volunteer incorporated fire departments in Connecticut. Active members are on-call to serve the community on a 24-hour/seven-day basis, responding from stations on Orange Center Road and Boston Post Road.